Hey there NaNoLansing!
Just a few quick announcements before we head to our clever pep talk from Slytherin!
ML Sponsored Events:
- Word Wizardry Write In – this Sunday from 12 to 5:30. There’s still space left, so please join us for a day of word wizardry fun. RSVP here.
- Monday Virtual ML Sponsored write in 8 pm to 10 pm
Come Write In Events:
- Tomorrow Saturday 11-19, the Okemos Public Library has an all day write in with coffee and tea. 9 am to 7 pm.
- Monday 11-21 Delta Township Library Come Write In 4 pm to 6 pm. There may be authors there discussing the craft.
Other Fun Stuff:
- We still have halos to give out. Please head over here to nominate yourself or someone else to get their shiny on!
- Want some more house points? We challenge you to a Mini Quest. Go here for more info.
Speaking of House Points….
Hufflepuff remains in 1st place, however in a neck and neck race, Slytherin has overtaken Ravenclaw for second place and our brave, but needs more stupendousness, Gryffindor remains in 4th place. (We can do it, Gryffs! Come to write ins! Do something awesome!) *cough, cough* so back to the results…
1st – Hufflepuff – 7334
2nd – Slytherin – 6846
3rd – Ravenclaw – 6785
4th – Gryffindor – 6502
Your house Gryffindor MLs
Annette (Contemplative Cat) and Courtney (YuOfOwari22)
And now – Onto the brilliantly cunning and creative pep talk from Slytherin!
4 Region School of Wordcraft and Wizardry
House Heads: Annette/Contemplative Cat (Gryffindor), Beth/lachattefatale (Ravenclaw), Heather/kdskid007 (Hufflepuff), Lori/Flyleaf (Slytherin)
We’re well into November and the end may be coming a tad too quickly for some. Now is the time to channel your inner serpent and call on a few Slytherin traits. No matter which House you call home, you may need a dose of cleverness, a dash of resourcefulness, a pinch of determination, and “a certain disregard for the rules.”
The NaNo forums are here to help. Check out the Reaching 50,000! Section, where you’ll find Tips & Tricks, NaNo Dares, Scenes to Up Your Word Count, and more. You’ll also discover that none of this is actually against the rules, but don’t let that stop you.
Want a few quick tips from the forum, right here in your inbox? Give these a shot:
– Find and replace all the contractions with full words. Ex: “wasn’t” becomes “was not”.
– Give your main character a ridiculously long title and be sure it’s used every time. Ex: The Supremely Awesome Yet Gloriously Humble But Non Self Deprecating Exact Right Amount of Self Confidence Perfect Mary Sue.
– Accept a ridiculous dare and write a quick scene that is not part of the story. You may be surprised at how quickly you can write when you know it doesn’t matter. And you just may end up discovering something about your characters in the process.
For those of you who’ve hit the 50k or are well on the way, I salute you. Your timely resourcefulness and determination have served you well. Bravo! Keep cheering the rest of us on, if you will, and let’s do our noveling wizardry school proud.
Your Slytherin Head of House,
ML Cape Cod, Massachusetts