Hello NaNoLansing Wrimos!
It’s almost the mid-point and week 3. First off, congratulations yourself for making it here. You were able to move past hell week and it gets better from here. It really does. Plus, whether you are speeding down the word count river and zipping ahead of the crowd or trailing way behind – you’ve written words and you can be proud of yourself. And if you haven’t started yet, there’s still time. You can start writing and sail on through the rest of the month on the tide of creativity.
Week 3 can be the time for lots of distractions and perhaps a little more of the inner critic chaos as it tries to break free. Don’t worry. There are strategies that you can use to help with this.
1. Find some kind of reward to use. Is there a new book you want? Perhaps a new pen? Maybe a night out at that new restaurant you want to try. Tell yourself that if you reach x goal, you can get that or do that.
2. Be sure to take care of yourself. Remember those little balls from the goodie bags? Use those to massage those tired arms and wrists. Stretch those hands and get up and move once in a while. And don’t forget about sleep. That will help too.
3. End your writing time with something else to say. It will help motivate you to jump back in again the next day.
4. Do word sprints. Set your timer for 15 or 20 minutes and then write away – or jump on Chat NaNo and have Timmy make a word war for you. Then take a break for a few and repeat. It’s a great way to keep your creative juices flowing.
5. Do something good for a fellow wrimo and nominate them (or yourself) for a halo. And/or donate to the traveling TARDIS at a write in!
6. Share a Pep Talk with Your Fellow Wrimos in our Need a Pep, Leave a Pep Talk Thread.
7. Share something funny you wrote or some strange twist your characters took you on in our NaNoLansingisms Thread.
8. Back Up Your Novel on Back Up Your Novel Day – Saturday November 17th (And everyday.)
9. Join us online or in person for write ins. There’s nothing like the tsunami of creativity that happens when you surround yourself with other writers who are ferociously typing away.
Speaking of write ins – Here are the ones we have this week:
Wednesday Nov 14th
Diving to 30K Virtual Write In
Chat NaNo #wrimoverse channel – information on ChatNaNo can be found here
MLs from around the world will be there as available
Thursday Nov 15th
NaNoLansing Write In
7 pm to 10 pm
Old Chicago Grp Rm Okemos- map
Host: Your ML Contemplative Cat
Saturday Nov 17th
Come Write In at the Okemos Public Library
12:30pm – 6:30 pm
Grp Rm Okemos Public Library – map
Host: Okemos Public Library
Come Write In at the Howell Public Library
Noon to 4 pm
Howell Carnegie District Library, 314 W Grand River Ave, Howell, MI 48843, USA (map)
Host: Howell Carnegie District Library
Monday Nov 19th
Come Write In at the East Lansing Public Library
10 am to 1 pm
950 Abbot Rd, East Lansing, MI 48823, USA (map)
Host: EL Public Library
Come Write In with Alexandria Sure
5 pm to 8pm
Panera’s Lansing Mall – map
Host: Alexandria Sure
Tuesday Nov. 20th
Virtual Write In NEW!
8 am to 10 am
ChatNaNo – #NaNoLansing channel – information on ChatNaNo can be found here
Host: Your ML – You will get credit on your achievement card for attending
Night Owl Write In
10 pm to 1 am
IHOP 2771 E Grand River Ave, East Lansing, MI 48823 (map)
And for those of you who are following Wrimoverse (or who just want more pep), here is this week’s Wrimoverse pep talk.
Happy writing, everyone!
Annette aka Contemplative Cat, your NaNoLansing ML